Bearly.ai Barely Gets Anything Right

I was excited to hear on Mac Geek Gab that a new free AI application could summarize web pages or even suggest new paragraphs of content to get over writers block.

 I downloaded Bearly.ai and installed it. Then I went to the suggested web article on protons by copying it's URL and pasting it into the Bearly.ai app.  Presto! In a few seconds it did a fairly good job of summarizing a complex scientific article in layman's language.

So I tried it on a few of my own Blogger posts to see how it would do.  Oops!

First, I used it to do an Executive Summary of my post on how to photograph the solar eclipse in 2024 based on my learnings, prep and great results in 2017.  I had used a Nikon d300 camera and lens exclusively and wrote about it. BUT bearly.ai summarized that I recommended taking "wild shots" of the eclipse and that I had used a Canon 5d.  Nothing could be further from the facts. My article talked about the careful preparation, planning and practice ahead of time to get good shots.

Where did "wild shots" come from?  A couple years ago when I first published this post I had used the word one time in a photo caption to describe the "wild" looking shot I got. But in the current version the word wild does not occur!  Yet bearly.ai used "wild" over and over in it's summary, saying that I was advocating "wild" shots.

Politically Correcting All Views

Even worse was using bearly.ai to summarize or compose paragraphs on anything culturally sensitive at all.  One of my posts talks about eight verses in the Bible, Old and New Testament that discuss homosexuality.  Baerly.ai repaced "homosexuality" and "gay" with "music."  And it wrote a summary about how the Bible has eight verses that address music and how it should be used in worship.  No kidding!  The words "music" and "worship" were not in that article at all.  

The same happened with many other articles that dealt with research on cultural or religious topics.  

Another example was my article on having researched whether the Koran had a teaching of universal love for all despite their religious or moral views.  I had expected it did, but was surprised to find out it actually did not, in contrast to the New Testament. My original aim was to find some passages from the Koran and post them to show that extremists need to follow it's clear teaching on loving those who you don't agree with spiritually. But it does not contain such verses.  A detente is about as far as it goes.  So I reported that and posted the many verses in the New Testament that do teach loving our enemies and those who oppose us as a contrast. And I noted that many Muslim traditions have added an ethic of loving those who disagree, but that it is in addition to the Koran.  And finally I noted that even with the New Testament's clear teaching of loving those who disagree or oppose it has had a mixed track record. So with the Koran not having a clear teaching like this, it is not surprising to find extremists who pick out passages to support jihad. 

OK, but barely.ai summarized the exact opposite! It said the the Koran taught an ethic of universal love to all even if they reject Islam and actively oppose it. Not even close. At best it is a detente of tolerating if left alone. And as I said, many Muslim traditions have later added ethics of love even to those who disagree. But bearly.ai changed the entire point.

So, will AI summary be the new Big Tech way to control thought?  If Bearly.ai is any indication the answer is a resounding yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does "Incense owns a Deity nigh" mean?

How to Photograph the Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

Is Mark Virkler Right About Our Dreams Being God's Voice?