Joe Traveler is in suburban Orlando and needs to be some place in the Tampa area. He has two options: 1) hop in his Toyota Camry and drive to his destination in about 70 minutes at a cost of about $11 gas, or 2) hop on the new Federally funded bullet train to downtown Tampa. Joe chooses to try the bullet train. Here's his trip details:
- Looking up schedule online: 5 minutes
- Travel from his house in the suburbs to the terminal: 20 minutes
- Paying for parking: $10
- Paying for the round trip ticket: $60
- Clearing TSA security: 5 minutes
- Waiting on the train (average): 25 minutes because he had to "arrive early" for security
- Actual travel on train to downtown Tampa: 60 minutes due to several stops
- Finding a cab in Tampa: 5 minutes & took a cell call to the Taxi company!
- Cab travel to north Tampa: $25
- Cab travel time: 25 minutes
TOTAL one way cost: $65 (one half rt ticket + parking and cab)
More than double the time and triple the cost!